Thursday 1 November 2012

Maths Through Story - My biit

Next week I'm doing a couple of sessions for Inspire2Learn as part of their "Maths through Story" Learning Week. My contribution revolves around a resource I came across, in about 1990, called The Case of the Phantom Cat Burglar. This was part of Warwick Process Science. I'm afraid I can't tell you any more than that.
The original resource was written for Y7 so I've produced three differentiated versions (Y1/2, Y3/4 and Y5/6). I had some help in getting the levels right from  the Primary Maths Advisor.
Is the badge a mistake?

Lower level briefing sheet

Basically, the story involves an ex-Maths teacher who has committed a series of burglaries. The burglaries follow a series of patterns and it is up to the pupil to predict the next crime. At the highest level the prediction involves time, date, amount and address of the burglary. The latter was tricky for pupils so I've ammended it to make it easier.

If you'd like the resources I can email you the pdfs, just contact me:-
    docalanbrennan@gmail.com


Additional Resource : ISBN 1-86007-548-7 (2004)

This resource could lead you into a wider examination of Forensic Science. Our area is world famous for this, having the National Forensic Centre in County Durham and an international expert at Sunderland University.

No comments:

Post a Comment