Monday 12 November 2012

Imagination in Science

I always tell people how imaginative Science is, from the imagined submicroscopic world to the imagined vastness of the Universe and all of its phenomena. Dawkins has written about this in his books "Unweaving the Rainbow" and "The Magic of Reality". However, sometimes the use of imagination to help young children is, I feel, unhelpful and indeed causes learning difficulties later in school.
It seems mean to pick on one particular example but it is current. It is an iPad app. It is well researched with excellent content and well illustrated but annoyed me. The app is called The Adventures of Norman the Neuron.*


My objection involves the teaching of young children that neurons can move around the nervous system. That's all. But "facts" learned early can be difficult to unlearn if they are wrong. 
My experience of this involves a session I did with trainee teachers. I challenged them over the number of senses we have. They all said FIVE. I proceeded to show that that was incorrect. They followed and understood but then began to argue that:-
     - "five" was correct because it was in the literature
     - "It's what we are supposed to teach".
     - "five" was correct because they were our five "main" senses. 
Some of them did not want to change their "belief". I can imagine some of them even now teaching children that they only have 5 senses.

In a similar vein, I came across apps about Space in which:-
  - Mars is strong - don't like
  - Saturn is beautiful - no problem
  - Black holes eat planets - don't like
  - Black holes are like vacuum cleaners - no problem.

Knowing me, I've not been particularly clear. Am I being pedantic, old-fashioned or just plain miserable with these criticisms? Am I denying the use of imaginative, literate teaching? Or am I still embarrassed to admit that I've been guilty of teaching bad Science in the past?

This finally leads me round to Bad Science. The book by Ben Goldacre is excellent and a visit to his website worthwhile:-

http://www.badscience.net/2012/10/

* Anyone remember the Numbskulls? What comic were they in?

No comments:

Post a Comment