Wednesday 7 November 2012

What would you save?

I must have picked up on a radio programme and was idly thinking "What would I save?" if my house was burning down. Then, when I was doing The Phantom Cat Burglar, the children told me what they'd not want a burglar to steal.
What would you save or hate to have stolen? 
What about your pupils? 
Being acquisitive, we've got thousands of books and CDs, a Victorian-style curiosity cabinet (actually a 19th century Indian apothecaries chest), cuddly toys, ceramics, original art works and prints, family photos, hard drives of memories and all the other stuff of life.
My house is not going to burn down. I couldn't decide. So, what do I value? Not in order
1. A copy of The Golden Shadow by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen, illustrated by Charles Keeping and signed by all three. Keeping (along with Chris Riddell) is my favourite illustrator of children's books. He'll be the subject of a blog, for sure. 

 2. An original drawing of The Navajo Myth of Creation by Dave McKean. An illustration for Richard Dawkins' book The Magic of Reality with links to Vadjak Paw, animation, beliefs, evolution, Darwin and Thomas Henry Huxley (another future blog).
3. The signed concert poster by Malian singer Salif Keita. An albino African who was ostracised but became world famous for his amazing voice. Just listen to Sina on the Soro CD.



4. Another signed concert poster, this time by Jackie Leven. A wonderful, Scottish singer who's "Call mother a lonely field" is a favourite of mine.
5. A death plaque from the First Wold War. As Morpurgo says, the First World War resonates much more through the ages than any other. This plaque belongs to a man from South Shields who died on my birthday in 1918. A very special present.
6. Three drawings by Ken Dunn, the Head of Art at a school I taught at. All have special resonance for me having an environmental theme.
7. Autographed first editions by Jonathan Stroud, Michael Foreman, Charlie Higson, Lauren St John and more. I've got two signed copies of The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd. Why? Don't know, but I loved her stories and she was the inspiration behind Patrick Ness's award winning book "A Monster Calls".
8. The bird-nose man carving from the Far East, my kora, my mbira(once owned by Ephat Mujuro), ........ 


Mbira from Zimbabwe
Better put a stop to this, it could be never-ending.


No comments:

Post a Comment