Friday 9 November 2012

Comic Life & Comic Books

Comic Life is a programme that I've used a lot and which is widely available in local schools. It has lots of potential for engaging pupils in literacy and design in addition to them showing their subject knowledge using IT. I've used it extensively with children and, if I can find the support, I like to use it to provide a resource for pupils which complements my Christmas Science Lecture for Inspire2Learn. Any volunteers?

There are no areas where it cannot be used. I've used it for everything from Cleopatra to The Solar System to Zumba. I'm going to be using it as part of Science Week at a school to highlight the importance of Healthy Living (knowing your body, eating properly and cultivating good habits).
Here is an example for World War 2 made into an anim. gif with Google's GIFPAL:-



They key to making this work with children is to have the image resources ready for them, preferably offering a wide range of choice. 

Comic Life is available for the iPad for a couple of pounds and although lacking many of the features it is engaging and enjoyable for pupils to use. Couple it with the iPads camera and easy of sharing and you have a potentially very powerful teaching and learning tool.

It is worth pointing out that Comic Life can be used to make a video of your comic too.

Finally, I'm sure that there are alternative programmes available, so explore, find the one that suits you/your budget/your pupils.

No comments:

Post a Comment