Monday 10 September 2012

Thomas the Tank Engine





I've never been to Seven Stories. I visit Newcastle regularly but never get round to it. A couple of people, knowing my love of both books and Science, have suggested I try to get involved with them. Over the summer I made an effort to come up with some ideas that might be of interest and top of the list was Thomas the Tank Engine - using these stories to engage children with Science.





I won't bore you with the details but the Science involved went like this:-

Energy change : chemical to heat to movement

Physical change : water to steam

Chemical change : coal + oxygen ---> ash + carbon dioxide + ENERGY

Friction : useful and nuisance
            : data-logging - runaway trains down ramps
                                - streamlining 

Control : switching tracks
            : points
            : signals

Communication : sound (whistles) and signals

Bridges





I haven't been in touch with them as they are no longer looking for help. 
Their web address is :-

http://www.sevenstories.org.uk/



TOOT! TOOT!


No comments:

Post a Comment