Tuesday 25 September 2012

Maths Through Story

At the beginning of November, Redcar & Cleveland's Inspire2Learn team are organising a Maths through Story Week. I've been to the planning meetings and so am sworn to secrecy about what people are going to deliver, me included. Looks like being another of their really good events.

Anyway, there I was, looking for more books for my collection, when I saw Maths Curse by Jon Scieszka, illustrated by Lane Smith. Lane Smith's book It's a Book is one I love.



This isn't a book anyone mentioned so I feel fairly safe in telling you about it.
It starts

 "On Monday in maths class Mrs Fibonacci* says "YOU KNOW, you can think of almost everything as a maths problem". On Tuesday I start having problems."

There then follow a whole series of fun maths related problems to conquer before laying the maths curse. True to form though the final page reads.. 

"..life is just great until science class, when Mr Newton says, "You know, you can think of almost everything as a science experiment..""

I wonder if they ever wrote THAT book!



* For information on Fibonacci & Science see the latest issue of the ASE's Primary Science Review



Another book by Scieszka & Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment