Wednesday 12 September 2012

HABITATS - hope & phytophotodermatitis

Yesterday I met up with two primary colleagues who are keen to explore their local habitats and possibly engage with an Indian school to make habitat comparisons. Loads of enthusiasm and interest but they need help and time.
They are so lucky to have woodland and seashore close to the school and the possibility of looking at a local stream too.




I told them about two organisation which produce good resources:_

Nature Detectives
http://www.naturedetectives.org.uk/

OPAL
http://www.opalexplorenature.org/

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get involved with them and put the area, literally on the map through one or more of the OPAL surveys. At the moment this area of the country is largely devoid of results (see right).

Also today I downloaded Plant Tracker onto my iPod. In this initiative, the University of Bristol and the Environment Agency, are monitoring invasive plant species. One, Giant Hogweed, I've spotted not far from where I live and people are frightened by it because it can cause phytophotodermatitis. I used to have a dead one in my classroom!



I mentioned the ASE in an earlier blog and they are seeking primary teachers to respond to their survey of "schools practical work" in Science. Please try to complete the survey (ends 28th Sept) to help them make informed representations on your behalf to the government.


The survey link is :- http://www.snapsurveys.com/swh/surveylogin.asp?k=134633376632

No comments:

Post a Comment