Saturday 15 December 2012

Akhenaten or Akhnaten - my favourite Egyptian

I discovered Akhnaten when I moved from teaching in London to teaching in the North East. I'd recorded the Philip Glass opera off the radio onto a cassette and played it on the long drive North. I fell in love with it even though opera is not really my thing. A year or two later, my wife bought tickets for a staging of the opera at ENO (English National Opera) in London for my birthday. It was magnificent. The set was of sand with troughs in it through which flowed water (the Nile). The sand was moulded into various outlines during the performance. The singing, especially that of the false soprano male lead, all decked out in false breasts, was unforgettable. One of the best presents ever.
I bought a programme, obviously, but also indulged in the libretto from a near-by music shop. I then read a lot about Akhnaten, the librettisist and the composer (Philip Glass). 


CBS Masterworks 

Akhnaten doesn't seem to appear much in books for children about Egypt but what a fascinating character and what an ego, to try to overturn thousands of years of a multitheistic religion into a monotheistic one.
My interest has diminished over the years but peaks every now and again, for example when I discovered the poem "Akhenaten" by Dorothy Porter (Serpent's Tail Books 1999 ISBN 1-85242-619-5). It is wonderful and I always wanted to read this passage out to a group of students :-


"I was little Horseface
with wheezing lungs
and the wet bed.

Amun threw me down
in drooling, pissing fits.

I was only a second son
and they thought I'd die.
Amun would climb
on my face
and spread his black bum
over my eyes and mouth

I thought he'd choke me"


Akhenaten is featured in Shuter's children's book "People who made history in Ancient Egypt", mentioned in a previous blog, but I'm not sure what else is available for this age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment