Wednesday 17 October 2012

Volcanoes & lava fields - Lanzarote

iPad The crater we stood in the centre of
I hope you still have fond memories of your last holiday and high expectations of the one to come. Being self-employed allows me to take holidays whenever it's convenient for my wife (and when funds allow). We've just been to Lanzarote and, whilst looking forward to the warmth, I wasn't really expecting anything - possibly the best frame of mind to be in. What an awakener! Closest I'll ever be to standing in an alien landscape, even the presence of lichen didn't rid me of the "sterile" nature of the lava fields. 
iPod Alien landscape


iPod pavement of columnar basalt

iPod Solidified lava
I've been to Mount Etna and Vesuvius and seen volcanic craters in Bali (not far from Krakotoa) but this was as good. Standing at the bottom of a crater was awesome.
Elsewhere on the island, we were able to have lunch in a lava tube at the Jameos del Aqua and to walk through the lava bubbles in the former home of Cesar Manrique. I had never heard of Manrique but he was a really talented artist and visionary.


Manrique sculpture in lava bubble

No comments:

Post a Comment