Thursday 4 October 2012

National Poetry Day


Today is National Poetry Day. Reading any poems? 
Thought I'd just throw a few of my favourites into the ether, then realised how many you grow to love over the years. It's lovely to revisit.

Brian Patten
Looking Back On It
At nineteen I was a brave Old Hunchback
Climbing to 'tremendous heights'
Preparing to swing down on my golden rope
And rescue the Accused Innocence.
But on my swooping, downward path one day
Innocence ducked
And I amazed at such an act crashed into
A wall she had been building.
How silly of me to think myself able to rescue anything!
From "Little Johnny's Confession"  (Allen & Unwin, 1967)


Adrian Mitchell -
Lullaby for William Blake
Blakehead, babyhead,
Your head is full of light.
You sucked the sun like a gobstopper.
Blakehead, babyhead,
High as a satellite on sunflower seeds,
First man-powered man to fly the Atlantic,
Inventor of the poem which kills itself,
The human form, jazz, Jerusalem
And other luminous, luminous galaxies.
You out-spat your enemies.
You irradiated your friends.
Always naked, you shaven, shaking tyger-lamb,
Moon-man, moon-clown, moon-singer, moon-drinker,
You never killed anyone.
Blakehead, babyhead,
Accept this mug of crude red wine -
I love you.
From "out loud" (Cape Golliard, 1969)


Roger McGough -
30
sitting alone
with my bottle of sauce
KNOCK KNOCK
"who's there?"
noone of course
from "Summer with Monica" (Michael Joseph , 1967)


and just to prove I progressed beyond the 1960's..

Dorothy Porter
I survived
I've always known 
my enemies.
When I was a child
Amun had the better of me.
I was little Horseface
with the wheezing lungs
and the wet bed.
Amun threw me down
in drooling, pissing fits.
I was only a second son
they all thought I'd die.
Amun would climb on my face
and spread his black bum
over my eyes and mouth
I thought he'd choke me
while my brother 
Tutmose
swanned around Karnak
in white linen
Amun loved him.
But one day
my parents gave me 
Aten
like you'd throw a child
drinking from a street sewer 
a slice of honey bread
I gorged on my God
I swelled up huge
that year
Tutmose shrivelled up
and died
I survived.
From "Akhenaten" (Serpent's Tail, 1992)

Finally, a recommendation, if you're a biologist and admirer of Charles Darwin, to invest in "Darwin : A life in poems" by Ruth Padel. To go with this, you could also look out a very good CD of specially composed songs featuring Chris Wood, Katrine Polwart & Stu Hanna - "Darwin Song Project Shrewbury 2009" (SFFCD01).























No comments:

Post a Comment