Friday 31 August 2012

Poetry and Science - Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

National Poetry Day is on 4th October. The themes is STARS.
October 4th is also the first day of World Space Week. 
Wouldn't it be great to use the two to complement each other?




Inspire2Learn has two Magic Planets which can be used in the centre or borrowed. It also has the Immersive Room with its Space presentations where you can take off in the shuttle, visit the planets and gaze at the stars.

This also fits in neatly, for me, as I have just purchased Carol Ann Duffy's  New & Collected Poems for Children (Faber & Faber 2010 ISBN 978-0-571-21969-8). I've not read much of her stuff but was really impressed with many of the poems in this collection of hers:-

                           The dark is a little black dress
                                 to show off the sequin stars. (From Don't be scared)

I need to go off now and research Space Poems. I don't remember any of my favourite poets (Blake, Patten, McGough, Henri, Mitchell) writing much with stars and space in, but I'll discover a few forgotten gems in the search.

Song lyrics are poetry, so I'm off in search of Don McLean's Starry Starry Night. Now, is it on vinyl or CD? I smell more nostalgia.



No comments:

Post a Comment