Thursday 15 January 2015

YEAR 6 EVOLUTION : Book and Magazine


As I've mentioned before, one of my heroes is Thomas Henry Huxley, Darwin's Bulldog, and I have a great interest in Evolution. With the changes to the National Curriculum, I was hoping to be inundated with schools asking for help. I'd already done a special day in 2009 for Darwin's anniversaries and, as so much more research has been carried out, I was looking to get myself updated.


One area where there has been great strides is Human Evolution so, with a bit of birthday money, I bought and read Alice Robert's book "The Incredible Unlikeliness of Being". This was very informative and coupled with the purchase of the New Scientist Collection - The Human Story, I felt more confident.


The rush of schools wasn't forthcoming and without that imperative of "How the hell do I engage and enthuse the children?" my new knowledge started to get pushed out by thoughts of Scratch coding.

If you're looking to update your knowledge, I'd recommend both of these and the Corpse Talk comic strip about Human Evolution in the Phoenix Comic (see previous post).

http://www.thephoenixcomic.co.uk/

The good news is that I am in a state of panic because one school has been brave enough to take me on to deliver Evolution. I start this week and will let you know what I do and how it goes. Wish me luck. Watch the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment