Wednesday 14 January 2015

MINDFULNESS


Mindfulness : the article, the books, the app

Mindfulness first reared its head when I was browsing some education articles on the Guardian website. My favourite food is chocolate and there was an article about giving chocolate to children to introduce them to mindfulness.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/teacher-blog/2013/jun/24/mindfulness-classroom-teaching-resource

It sounded interesting and I determined that, soon, I'd go back to my roots in CASE (Cognitive Acceleration in Science Education) and do a bit of metacognition (thinking about thinking). However, the very next day I came across a book entitled Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana and its companion volume, Eight Mindful Steps To Happiness.


Wisdom press (2001) ISBN 0-86171-176-9
Book on loan so no details




It was a stressful time, personally, so I sat and read the book. I took from it what I wanted (I left the spiritual bit behind) and took to trying to be "mindful". It wasn't easy then and I'm afraid I've let it slip a bit but I did feel there were benefits to be gained. It was, therefore, very interesting to read in the New Scientist Collection : The Scientific Guide To A Better You a scientific take on the topic.

If you're up for sitting and actively thinking/not-thinking for 30min a day I'd recommend having a go.

Finally, browsing through one of the Sunday papers, I came across a review of an app. and website to do with mindfulness, Headspace. I've not tried the app yet and am not sure I'd want to "buddy" up with anybody for support through the website, but mindfulness is an avenue I'm happy to walk down in trying to cope with what the world flings at me.






No comments:

Post a Comment