Thursday 15 August 2013

Orpheus, Euridyce and The Wall

Anais Mitchell is an american folk/contemporary singer with a quirky voice. I have a CD of hers called Young Man in America (2012) and one with her and Jefferson Hamer (2013) singing some of the Child Ballads. So, when I saw Hadestown, with another of my favourite female singers, Ani DiFranco, I had to buy and try. I was not disappointed.
righteous babe records RBR070-DE (2010)
The CD is a "folk opera" based on the legend of Orpheus & Euridyce. It works well as a whole but what grabbed my attention was the track "Why we build the wall". I immediately saw the wall from the Pink Floyd cartoon being built and then started singing "I built the wall and I will be the one to knock it down" (REM). Finally, I regressed totally and started to sing "Out of the land of shadows and darkness, we were returning towards the morning light....", the introductory words to From the Underworld by The Herd (Peter Frampton's first group).
I can see a way of using these songs in PHSE as well as when teaching the Ancient Greeks
With regard to the latter, I then went back and found Marcia William's comic strip version of the story from "Greek Myths for Younger Children" (Walker Books).

"But then her living form faded and Eurydice became a ghost of the Underworld"

No comments:

Post a Comment