Friday 26 July 2013

SOLO Taxonomy

I've been out of the scheme of things for a number of years and so wasn't surprised when I began to hear about SOLO Taxonomy for teaching. The first time was at a TeachMeet which meant information was limited of necessity. More recently, I was part of a SOLO Taxonomy workshop and got quite excited to try to come to terms with it. I obviously need to explore and learn more about its practicalities. If only I was teaching full-time, I think I'd enjoy the challenge.

I loved this graphic -


and it fits in so well with my constructivist background.

SOLO and my dismay at hearing how little practical work seems to be being done in some secondary schools almost had me wanting to get back to full-time Science teaching. Now that would be a challenge!

What also proved of great interest was the use of Lego blocks to explain the ideas behind the process.

(Sorry about the quality)

I had just spent five weeks working with Y3 and 4 with Lego WeDo (see separate blog). I explained how I wanted them to make models by carefully following instructions, copying the programming instructions. They were then to experiment with both the model's construction and the program. In the final session, I asked them to take what they'd learned and use their imagination to come up with a novel model and an accompanying set of program instructions.

As an aside, for all of its expense, I'm becoming a Lego-holic. Any fellow sufferers out there?







No comments:

Post a Comment